Gensets to be modified after CO deathPosted on
A houseboat vendor on Lake Powell said it would retrofit the generators on about 50 houseboats after finding a design flaw that may have contributed to a carbon monoxide-related death last summer, The Salt Lake Tribune reports.
Investigators from the National Park Service and the Coast Guard discovered the design and alarm issues after the June death of Glenn Howeth, 62, of Winslow, Ariz.
Howeth and seven family members were aboard a houseboat, rented from Aramark and tied in a bay on the Utah side of Lake Powell, when they began experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Howeth suffered a heart attack, believed to have been induced by the poisoning, while carbon monoxide sickened the others, the newspaper reports.