Groups want EPA to reconsider ethanol increase

Posted on

A broad coalition of groups, including the National Marine Manufacturers Association, is calling for a review by the Environmental Protection Agency of a petition to increase ethanol levels in gasoline.

“American motorists and consumers cannot afford to have EPA’s decision on whether to permit the use of ethanol blends higher than 10 percent in motor vehicle and smaller engines be guided by any factor other than sound and unbiased science,” said a coalition of 13 organizations and trade associations.

Ethanol manufacturers want the EPA to increase ethanol levels in gasoline from 10 percent to 12, 15 or even 20 percent.

But the opposition groups say the possibility that more alcohol in the fuel could cause damage to motor vehicle and marine engines, fuel-handling systems, storage tanks, and pollution control and safety equipment.

“To date, there has not been sufficient testing of motor vehicle and non-road equipment engines, such as outdoor power equipment and marine engines, to determine whether any mid-level ethanol blend would meet current federal air-quality protection requirements or be safe for consumers to use,” the coalition said in a statement.

“Consideration of an increase in the current federal legal limit on blending ethanol into gasoline must be undertaken through an open, public and transparent process that takes into account both the increased air pollution that will result from the use of higher ethanol blends in many engines and the potential risks to consumers of driving vehicles or handling engines fueled with these blends,” the group added.

Comments

2 comments on “Groups want EPA to reconsider ethanol increase

  1. Gary Cannon

    Time to exercise your rights as a US citizen.

    TELL YOUR LEGISLATORS TO STOP THIS NOW!!!

  2. Deb Blouin

    What in the world are you thinking?  Please review all of the information available on the costs to our environment (fresh water) when you consider the production of ethanol and this proposed increase into our gasoline.
    When thinking GREEN and the CARBON FOOT PRINT impact to our society, the scope of revelence needs to address both renewable and non renewable resources, there is no simple fix.  Just adding more ethanol to gasoline is not the answer. 
    Example:
    The Texas Commission On Environmental Quality, believes that Apartment Complexes should be allowed to use the “allocated utility services” for water and sewer services billing.  While this does ensure the payment of water, it in no way acts to CONSERVE  water. 
     Apartment Complexes take responsibility for a small percentage of the total use (5%)  and take LITTLE to NO responsibility for plumbing maintainance, as the remaining 95% is allocated to its tenants.  There is NO Environmental Quality without conservency?
     The quality of our environment and the preservation of our natural resources must work hand in hand.  Please I ask you again to review all of the COSTS related to the measures you are considering with regards increasing the ethanol percentages in gasoline.
    Thank you for your time   

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments Policy.

Vote Today

What are your expectations for the spring and summer selling season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Search Boats for Sale

Length
Year
Price