West Marine seeks green-product contest entriesPosted on
West Marine is accepting applications for its fourth annual Green Product of the Year Award.
The contest is accepting entries from the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada (excluding the province of Quebec).
Through the award, West Marine hopes to encourage green product development throughout the marine industry.
“As a leading marine retailer we want to use our position to support and promote sustainable innovation in the marine industry,” West Marine CEO Matt Hyde said in a statement.
The Green Product of the Year will be announced and the award of $10,000 will be presented to the designated official winner at the 2013 Miami International Boat Show.
The competition is free and open to individuals, manufacturers, distributors and/or inventors of boating products. Judges will select the winner based on the following criteria:
• Effectiveness: Is the product as effective as competitive products in the marketplace?
• Economy: Is the product priced competitively with existing solutions or similar products in the market? This can be measured on a per-use basis or a cost-justified basis.
• Environmental impact: How does the use of this product benefit the environment? Because of the diversity of product categories, this could be expressed in reduced fuel consumption, reduction of chemicals of concern, reduced air or water pollution, healthier or more abundant fish stocks or other metrics.
• Degree of innovation: Is the product different from anything else in the marketplace? Does the product incorporate new materials or technologies?
• Timing: Was the product introduced to the marketplace in 2011 or 2012, or will it be introduced in 2013?
• Verification of claims: All environmental or efficacy claims must be verifiable and substantiated by an independent third party. Entries must provide actual data, test results, laboratory analyses, etc.
Participants can enter the contest and see the complete rules and entry requirements by completing an entry form at www.westmarine.com/green between today and Nov. 23.