MIAMI: Brunswick CEO honored by YachtWorldPosted on
MIAMI BEACH — Brunswick Corp. CEO Dustan McCoy received the YachtWorld Heroes Award for the work he has done with the United States Power Squadrons to help educate boaters through Brunswick Boat Group dealerships across the country.
By doing this, the company has helped make boating safer and more enjoyable, Dominion Marine Group vice president and general manager Ian Atkins said as he presented the award.
Atkins presented the award Thursday at the Miami International Boat Show & Strictly Sail Industry Breakfast.
“I’m really humbled to be accepting this award in this august group” of nominees, McCoy said. “I don’t pretend to be at their level.”
“I think we all know that boating is not an intuitive activity,” McCoy said. “If you walk in this exhibit hall and you’re not a boater, I promise you will be overwhelmed. We decided it needed to be taught by skilled boaters. Most importantly, we hope to make boating more fun and safe.”
Also nominated for the award were seven others:
• Celene Cousteau, of Cause Centric Productions, the granddaughter of Jacques Cousteau. She helps “support everyday heroes” in her fight to protect the marine environment, Atkins said.
• Capt. Mark Drewelow, of Yacht Aid Global, who helps deliver medicines and school supplies to people in need.
• Deborah Kinder, founder of the Blue Ocean Film Festival and founder of Make a Difference Media.
• Michael Stocker, of Ocean Conservation Research, “drives regularly into Washington, D.C., to advocate on bioacoustics and the effects of man-made noise,” Atkins said.
• Sylvia Earle, also known as “her Deepness,” a chief scientist of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, an oceanographer and explorer for National Geographic.
• Gary Markel, of Operation Cruise, who makes his personal 150-foot luxury yacht available to help rehabilitate Special Forces soldiers wounded in action.
— Reagan Haynes
Welcome to TradeOnlyToday’s premium content! To continue reading, please register now, for access to 10 free stories per month. Or subscribe, for unlimited access to all TradeOnlyToday content!
Basic subscription: Registered members get free access to 10 premium content stories each month!
Individual subscription: $29 for unlimited site access for one year.
Small Business subscription: $140 for unlimited site access for up to 10 members of a company for one year.
Corporate subscription: $300 for unlimited site access for all members of a company for one year.
You may close this dialog after seconds.