West Marine hands out conservation grantsPosted on
In honor of World Oceans Day on Saturday, West Marine announced the recipients of its annual Marine Conservation Grants program.
Grants are being awarded to organizations throughout the United States and Canada that are working to “improve and protect marine habitat,” which West Marine says is a key part of its mission. The retailer said it upped the grants to $40,000, rather than a previously announced $30,000, because there was an abundance of worthwhile projects.
The grants are a component of West Marine’s BlueFuture initiative. The focus of this year’s awards is on projects that enhance marine habitat, engage anglers in data collection and educate them about barotrauma. The 13 recipients are based in Massachusetts, Florida, Washington, Louisiana, California, Hawaii and British Columbia.
The grant recipients are:
• Gloucester, Mass. — Massachusetts Department of Marine Fisheries
• Kingston, Mass. — The Jones River Watershed Association
• Sanford, Fla. — The Snook & Gamefish Foundation’s Angler Action Program
• Miami — Coastal Angler Science Team
• Jacksonville, Fla. — TISRI
• Bellingham, Wash. — Coastal Conservation Association North Sound
• Covington, La. — Recreational Fisheries Research Institute
• National Marine Sanctuary “Classic” in California, Florida, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Washington, Massachusetts, Michigan and Hawaii, produced by The Sportfishing Conservancy.
• Central Coast, Calif. — Coastside Fishing Club
• Petaluma, Calif. — Golden Gate Salmon Association
• Honolulu — Pacific Islands Fisheries Group
• Concord, Calif. — Water4Fish
The grants are awarded through a formal application process in which organizations are required to submit their proposal directly to West Marine. All applications are reviewed by the Marine Conservation Action Team.
Since 1994, West Marine has donated nearly $5 million to organizations that support youth boating, boating safety and the marine environment.
Welcome to TradeOnlyToday’s premium content! To continue reading, please register now, for access to 10 free stories per month. Or subscribe, for unlimited access to all TradeOnlyToday content!
Basic subscription: Registered members get free access to 10 premium content stories each month!
Individual subscription: $29 for unlimited site access for one year.
Small Business subscription: $140 for unlimited site access for up to 10 members of a company for one year.
Corporate subscription: $300 for unlimited site access for all members of a company for one year.
You may close this dialog after seconds.