West Marine releases annual sustainability reportPosted on
Retail chain West Marine released its fourth annual BlueFuture 2012 Sustainability Report.
BlueFuture encompasses West Marine’s companywide efforts focusing on sustainability, including improving and protecting marine environments, reducing the company’s carbon footprint and encouraging people to enjoy being out on the water.
From Pure Oceans, the company’s private-label brand of “green” boating products to giving millions of dollars in grants over the years to marine-based non-profits, the report details West Marine’s progress toward reducing greenhouse gases, commitments and partnerships to cultivate healthy waterways and fisheries, and support of youth boating programs.
“There is no company in the U.S. that has a bigger impact on boating than West Marine,” CEO Matt Hyde said in a statement. “It’s a privileged position, and with privilege comes great responsibility. Across the board we’ve made significant progress toward our mission to ‘conserve marine resources, reduce our impact on the environment and promote boating,’ but there’s more work to do.”
The following are highlights from the report:
• West Marine was named in Forbes’ Top 100 Most Trustworthy Companies in America for the second year in a row
• Greenhouse gas reduction of 4.29 percent YOY — and more than 17.5 percent GHG reduction since 2007 baseline
• 531 grants fulfilled in 2012, bringing the cumulative donation since 1994 for youth boating, boating safety and marine conservation to $4,946,533
• Donated 2,500 life jackets
• Saved more than $1,815,000 in utility costs since 2007 vs. business as usual scenario
• “Green Product of the Year” honorees included Attwood’s Fuel Demand Valve and CFA Eco, the world’s first copper-free, water-based antifouling bottom paint
Welcome to TradeOnlyToday’s premium content! To continue reading, please register now, for access to 10 free stories per month. Or subscribe, for unlimited access to all TradeOnlyToday content!
Basic subscription: Registered members get free access to 10 premium content stories each month!
Individual subscription: $29 for unlimited site access for one year.
Small Business subscription: $140 for unlimited site access for up to 10 members of a company for one year.
Corporate subscription: $300 for unlimited site access for all members of a company for one year.
You may close this dialog after seconds.