Finalists named for DAME design awardsPosted on
From 115 products entered in this year’s DAME Design Award competition, 52 were nominated to go forward for final judging by the DAME jury.
DAME 2013 received entries from around the world. The successful nominations came from 12 nations.
Winners will be announced at 8 a.m. Nov. 19 at a breakfast briefing prior to the start of the Marine Equipment Trade Show in Amsterdam.
DAME Awards Jury chairman Bill Dixon said in a statement that the jury was pleased with the quality of many of the entries and the effort companies made to present their products in a clear and concise way.
“The number of nominations this year is the highest for some time,” Dixon said. “This reflects the overall quality of the entry, which is undoubtedly improved on previous years. There were some standout categories with evidence of innovation. For example, in marine electronics we saw some notable moves forward, while the deck equipment, sails and rigging category generated a third of all nominations and brought a lot of very different products from several manufacturers to our attention. In fact, we’ve had significant entries to consider in each category, so the final decisions will be very hard.”
The DAME categories are:
1. Marine electronics and related software
2. Interior equipment, furnishings, materials and electrical fittings used in cabins
3. Marina equipment, boatyard equipment and boat construction tools and materials
4. Deck equipment, sails and rigging
5. Clothing and crew accessories
6. Lifesaving and safety equipment
7. Machinery, propulsion, mechanical and electrical systems, and fittings
Judges will choose from the final list of nominees.