LIVE FROM METS: Rising early for the DAME AwardsPosted on Written by Gaspare J. Marturano
And so it begins. After a late-night party on the Grace Kelly with the fine folks at Mastervolt/Marinco, I hit the sheets. An early morning start time for a breakfast before the DAME Awards dampened my late-night party plans.
Design Award METS is the world’s most prestigious design competition for new marine equipment and accessories.
DAME Awards nominees are divided into seven categories:
• Marine electronics and related software
• Interior equipment, furnishings, materials and electrical fittings used in cabins
• Marina equipment, boatyard equipment and boat construction tools and materials
• Deck equipment, sails and rigging
• Clothing and crew accessories
• Lifesaving and safety equipment
• Machinery, propulsion, mechanical and electrical systems, and fittings
2013 didn’t have a shortage of entries. A total of 115 products were entered in this year’s DAME Design Award METS competition. Fifty-two products from 12 countries were nominated to go forward for final judging by the DAME jury, which chose a maximum of seven category winners and one overall winner.
The overall winner and category winners were announced at a special breakfast briefing today. All of the short-listed products will be put on display during the show in a special DAME presentation at the entrance of the Holland Complex (Entrance C).
What really impressed me is that the 150 euros ($202.76) registration fees from DAME entries are donated to charity, and all international marine-related charities are invited to apply. The METS exhibition committee chose to share the donation between two charities this year:
• Sailability, an organization that facilitates sailing for all, regardless of age or ability, with an emphasis on opportunities for people with disabilities.
• Freedom Waters, an organization that enhances lives by providing boating opportunities and marine-related activities for people with disabilities, life-threatening illnesses, youth at risk, others with special needs and veterans.
That’s all well and good, and I have no problem waking at the crack of dawn on most days, but good people at METS, maybe a more reasonable time. The day before the show starts would be nice. Hell, make it the week before. I for one, wouldn’t mind.
Gaspare J. Marturano is a social media and digital marketing thought leader, industry speaker and the author of “SocializeWith.Me or Someone Else Will” (available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble). With more than 20 years of experience, he is now leading Fastlane Communications’ Digital Marketing and Social Media practice, providing best-practice counsel and execution in the areas of social media policies, processes, people, technologies and content marketing programs.
Welcome to TradeOnlyToday’s premium content! To continue reading, please register now, for access to 10 free stories per month. Or subscribe, for unlimited access to all TradeOnlyToday content!
Basic subscription: Registered members get free access to 10 premium content stories each month!
Individual subscription: $29 for unlimited site access for one year.
Small Business subscription: $140 for unlimited site access for up to 10 members of a company for one year.
Corporate subscription: $300 for unlimited site access for all members of a company for one year.
You may close this dialog after seconds.