British Marine’s BOATS2020 Canceled

Author:
Publish date:
Credit: Getty Images.

Credit: Getty Images.

British Marine’s BOATS2020 — scheduled to begin today and run through Sept. 20 — has been canceled. Organizers were informed by Southampton City Council that the Mayflower Park event could not go on as planned, blaming the increased risk of Covid-19 infections and growing government fears of a super-spreader event.

Organizers received the news late Thursday evening on the cusp of opening day.

According to British Marine, they had carried out extensive safety measures, collaborating with Southampton city officials to meet and exceed England’s public health Covid-19 requirements.

But the enhanced measures, limited ticket sales and layout changes to ensure social distancing and that event spaces could be clean and sanitized when needed was not enough for the show to go on.

Credit: Getty Images.

Credit: Getty Images.

As the show was slated to kick off the next morning, exhibitors and staff were on-site preparing for the show when the news came.

“We are desperately disappointed that BOATS2020 will no longer be taking place, especially receiving the news at the eleventh hour before opening. A tremendous amount of work has been put in and it was heartening to see committed exhibitors on-site today getting geared up for opening,” said British Marine CEO Lesley Robinson in a statement.

“We are truly perplexed as to why we are unable to run the show at least until Monday in line with the government restrictions imposed yesterday. The global pandemic and unprecedented times mean that the latest circumstances are beyond our control. Public health and safety come first and naturally, as the show organizer, British Marine must comply with all guidance,” Robinson added.

3_Southampton_princess-sbs18.2

In addition, a smaller event that was slated to open on the same day — MDL Marinas Ocean Village Show — has also been cancelled, MDL said.

“British Marine has remained committed to staging this not-for-profit boat show to support the leisure marine industry and our host city of Southampton, and I am deeply saddened that it will now no longer be taking place. Alongside our exhibitors, we were ready to open a show that exceeded all safety requirements,” Robinson said.

Organizers said they plan on offering ticket holders credit for next year’s Southampton International Boat Show and will be reaching out to exhibitors, ticket holders and further stakeholders for plans going forward. 

Related

A Collective Voice Against Tariffs

Organizations in the E.U. and U.S. have issued a statement ahead of next week’s Brussels Summit urging for the termination of retaliatory tariffs.

ABYC Free Webinar Series Returns

The association’s online learning events will continue with “Fuel System Troubleshooting” on June 17.

Getting to Know the Newbies

At last week’s Partners Outdoors symposium, RBFF’s Stephanie Vatalaro shared information that can help the marine industry get to know its new audiences.

Switching to Compostable Bags

Foul-weather gear maker Grundéns will start using eco-packaging that you can cut up and use in the garden.

Brunswick Corp. CEO to Headline Innovation Summit

David Foulkes will speak on implementation at the Sept. 9 summit, organized by Correct Craft.

Navico Hires Americas PR Manager

Navico brings its public-relations duties in-house with the hiring of Kim Rodriquez.

Galeon Expands Dealer Network

The builder looks to British Columbia-based dealer Freedom Marine to grow the brand in western Canada.

No Inventory? Now Is Not The Time to Stop Marketing

The MRAA’s Webinar “Marketing When You Have No Inventory” covered how dealers can build long-term equity with new and returning customers as demand outpaces supply.