Jefa Steering ApS of Denmark’s Steering Traveller won the overall DAME 2014 Design Award today at the Marine Equipment Trade Show in Amsterdam.
Jury chairman Bill Dixon presented the show’s top award at the start of METS this morning. The DAME jury praised the product for the way it offers a genuine solution to chain/wire steering.
In addition to the overall winner, six DAME category winners were also announced during the breakfast briefing, the official start of METS, which runs through Thursday at Amsterdam RAI.
The jury said it is “always on the lookout for clever design solutions that challenge the status quo to deliver obvious improvements for boat owners and builders. There were several examples this year, but the standout entry was the Jefa Steering Traveller. This product removes the need for bulky steering quadrants and improves rudder feedback at the helm for twin-rudder, twin-wheel sailing yachts. Special attention has been paid to save installation space and weight, as well as to eliminate backlash, which improves yacht handling.”
Said another juror: “Jefa’s elegance overrode the strong field of entries.”
Commenting on the field of entries, Dixon said it was commendable to see so much product development at a time when the marine industry has had a long period of constrained budgets.
“Developing new, well designed and innovative products is very difficult for relatively low manufacturing volumes,” Dixon said. “Nevertheless many of the companies that we recognized in this year’s nominations have looked at a problem, found a new and interesting way to solve it and come up with a confident solution. Others have discovered ways of making the boatbuilder’s life easier though better integration and ease of installation. Simple, elegant design with cohesive integration is the future; this is the challenge that the DAME Awards will continue to address by highlighting the achievements of the best entries.”
This year’s category winners are:
• Marine electronics and marine-related software— weBBoat 4G by Glomex SrL, Italy
• Interior equipment, furnishing, materials and electrical fittings used in cabins — SilKEN2 Induction Cooktop by Kenyon International Inc., USA
• Marina equipment, boatyard equipment and boat construction tools and materials — Seabung by Seabung, United Kingdom
• Deck equipment, sails and rigging — Steering Traveller by Jefa Steering ApS, Denmark
• Lifesaving and safety equipment — MOB Search Light by Exposure Marine, United Kingdom
• Machinery, propulsion, mechanical and electrical systems and fittings — Pro-Installer EZ-Mount Battery Switches by Marinco by BEP, New Zealand
No winner was declared in the clothing and crew accessories category this year.