The 2018 Innovation Awards, managed by the National Marine Manufacturers Association and judged by Boating Writers International, were presented during the industry breakfast at the International BoatBuilders’ Exhibition and Conference this morning.
“This year’s entries were very focused on improving the boating experience,” said IBEX judging panel chair Alan Wendt in a statement. “From solving simple issues with canvas, to more complex engineering challenges with hardware and composites, there is ample evidence of innovation underway in a thriving industry.”
- Awlgrip North America’s Quick Build won in the Boat Care and Maintenance category.
- In the Boatbuilding Methods and Materials category, Structural Composites’ Advanced Marine Coatings won. Dowco Marine’s Nextoon won an honorable mention.
- Taylor Made’s Pole-less Self Draining Pontoon Cover won in the Coverings category, with Quality Mark’s Pop-A-Pole earning an honorable mention.
- Dripper Guard’s Dripper Guard PRO Electrical Systems won in the Deck Equipment and Hardware category
- Fusion’s Apollo 770 won in the Entertainment category.
The X Series Shock Mitigated Pedestals by Shoxs earned the award in the Furnishings and Interior Parts category.
- In the Lighting category, Megaled’s Orphos won.
- Blue Guard Innovations’ BG-One won for Mechanical Systems.
- For OEM electronics, Raymarine’s Axiom ClearCruise augmented reality took the prize, with an honorable mention going to Suzuki Motor of America for its multi-function gauge.
- Yamaha Motor Corp. won in the Outboard category for its new V-8 XTO Offshore.
- Mercury Marine’s Tiller Handle Assembly for Portable Outboard Motor Safety won for Propulsion Parts and Propellers.
- Medallion Instrumentation Systems’ Docking/Trailer Camera won in the Safety Equipment category.
“Recognizing and encouraging innovation in our industry is what IBEX is all about,” said show director Anne Dunbar. “The winning products will positively impact boating forever, and it's very exciting. Congratulations to all the entrants for their dedication to product evolution.”