The International BoatBuilders’ Exhibition and Conference announced a panel of seven marine journalists to judge the 2013 IBEX Innovation Awards.
“The Innovation Awards honor excellence in product development in 13 areas of the marine industry, including boatbuilding methods and materials, inboard and outboard engines, hardware, interior parts and furnishings and safety equipment,” show director Anne Dunbar said in a statement. “This is an opportunity for truly leading-edge technology to get recognition and exposure.”
The judges also can give an Environmental Award to any entry that provides an environmental benefit to the marine industry. This is not a separate category; rather, winners of this award will be selected from all products entered, regardless of category.
Entries for the Innovation Awards must be received by Aug. 16. The winners will be announced Sept. 17 at the Industry Breakfast.
The judges are:
• Zuzana Prochazka, a freelance writer and photographer for publications such as BoatUS Magazine, Sail, Sea, Yachtworld.com and Boats.com
• Pete Robson, a freelance writer and former editor of Pacific Yachting magazine
• Alan Wendt, first vice president of Boating Writers International, former editor of Marine CEO and the publisher of two boating lifestyle magazines, Adventure and Getaways
• Beth Leonard, director of technical services for BoatUS and technical editor for all BoatUS publications
• Frank Lanier, an accredited marine surveyor with 35 years of experience in the industry
• Nigel Calder, author of “Boatowner’s Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair and Improve Your Boat’s Essential Systems” and “Marine Diesel Engines: Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Repair”; and a contributing editor to Professional BoatBuilder magazine
• Ben Ellison, editor of Pandbo.com, a marine electronics website; his work appears in Power & Motoryacht, Sail, Soundings, Passagemaker and Yachts International