MIAMI — The National Marine Manufacturers Association and Boating Writers International announced the winners of the 2016 Progressive Insurance Miami International Boat Show Innovation Awards, which were presented during the annual industry breakfast.
Seventy-seven products across 31 categories were evaluated this year. The judges selected 17 winners in 16 categories and three honorable mentions.
The winners are:
- Boat Care and Maintenance: Glen Raven Custom Fabrics, Contour
- Center Console/ Walkaround Fishing Boats: Scout Boats Inc., ForwardFIVE Performing Seating Station
- Consumer Electronics, Mobile Applications and Software: Dual winners — Simrad-Navico, StructureScan 3D; and FLIR Systems Inc., AX8 Thermal Monitoring Camera
- Consumer Safety Equipment: Weems & Plath, SOS Distress Light; Honorable mention: Spinlock USA, LumeOn Lifejacket Illumination
- Cuddy Cabin and Bowrider Boats: Bayliner Marine Corp., VR5 Runabout
- Deck Equipment: Premier Marine Inc., Ricochet Ladder. Honorable mention: Anchor & Docking Inc., Anchor Turner Kit
- Docking and Fendering Equipment: Bellingham Marine Industries Inc., Portable Floating Timber Dock System
- Electric Motor/ Battery-Powered Propulsion: Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics Inc., Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra electric trolling motor
- Fishing Equipment, Gear & Tackle: Taco Metals Inc., Carbon Fiber Outrigger Poles
- Furnishings and Interior Parts: Westhead Group, Flexima Nautic
- Jet Boats: BRP U.S. Inc., Intelligent Shift and Throttle
- Mechanical and Electrical Systems: Indmar Products Co. Inc., Strainer Pro
- Outboard Engines: Seven Marine LLC, 627 SpectraBlade
- Personal Gear, Soft Goods: Grundens USA, Breakwater Pants. Honorable mention: Gill North America Ltd., FG2 Tournament Jacket
- Personal Watercrafts: Yamaha WaterCraft Group Co., TR-1 Marine High Output Engine
- Pontoon Boats: Premier Marine Inc., Dodici
The awards recognize exceptionally innovative new consumer marine products and will be on display throughout the show, which will continue through Monday at the Miami Marine Stadium Park and Basin.
BWI members who perform product testing throughout the year and have specific expertise in marine products and equipment serve on the judging committee. The committee is co-chaired by Zuzana Prochazka and Alan Wendt.
Members include Frank Lanier, Marilyn Mower, Lenny Rudow, Lawrence Husick, Nigel Calder and Gary Reich.