Organizers of the International Marina & Boatyard Conference said this year’s event was a record-breaker. The Association of Marina Industries issued a statement saying registration was up 20 percent compared to last year, and attendance was 10 percent higher than the previous record, set in 2015.
IMBC took place Jan. 23-25 at the Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
“We are very pleased with the results of this year's IMBC,” said Joe Riley, CMM, AMI chairman, in the statement. “The increase in registration numbers and positive feedback we've received so far means we’ve met our goal of creating a meaningful experience for all participants.”
“We finished a little over 900 in total registration,” James L. Frye, vice president of business development for Westrec Marinas, told Trade Only Today. “We got a good response regarding our keynote presenters, John Spence and Debbie Mason, and there was nothing but good feedback from exhibitors on the show floor.”
This year, IMBC added a new educational track called “Ahead of the Curve,” which included industry trends and innovation, regional “hot button” roundtables and breakout sessions. The exhibit hall, with more than 120 industry suppliers, was sold out. It included live product demonstrations on the floor and networking receptions.
The International Marina Institute — the training arm of AMI — held its award ceremony for new Certified Marina Managers and Operators during IMBC. IMI announced 12 new CMMs and three CMOs. IMI has certified 397 CMMs and 40 CMOs worldwide.
This year’s CMM recipients:
- Doug Mason, Sunset Harbour Yacht Club, Miami Beach, Fla.;
- James Pickett, Branford Yacht Club, Branford, Conn.
- Ted Schiafone, Oceanside Harbor and Beaches, Oceanside, Calif.
- Bill Gauspohl, VIP Marina, Leander, Texas
- Ray Fernandez, Bridge Marina, Lake Hopatcong, N.J.
- Derek Roderick, Albany Marina, Nassau, Bahamas
- Joseph Cangianelli, James Creek Marina, Fairfax, Va.
- Scott Grindy, San Francisco Marina, San Francisco
- Robin McKeown, Queen’s Cove Marina, Victoria Harbour, Ontario
- Carrie VanDerra, Reefpoint Marina, Racine, Wis.
- Keith Bellflower, Pensacola Shipyard, Pensacola, Fla.
- Kris Shapiro, Cedar Island Marina, Clinton, Conn.
This year’s CMO recipients:
- Matt Faucher, Beach Point Yacht Club, Mamaroneck, N.Y.
- Trey Hayes III, Charleston City Marina, Charleston, S.C.
- Dustin Bruce, Indian Harbor Yacht Club, Greenwich, Conn.
IMBC will take place in January next year at the same venue.