Sail magazine editors and judges will review 2017 Best Boats nominees at the Newport (R.I.) International Boat Show, which opens Thursday and runs through Sunday, to pick winners that will be announced in the December issue.
Earlier this summer Sail, a Soundings Trade Only sister publication, sent a first round of solicitations to boatbuilders in its effort to survey every new boat making its U.S. debut, from a dinghy to a 70-footer.
As in years past, Sail featured the 2017 Best Boats nominees in an eight-page section in its September issue online.
Starting in Newport, a team of Sail editors and judges will review the sail boatbuilding class of 2017 by studying their lines, examining their construction details, interviewing builders and designers and taking boats for a sail.
Winners of this year’s Best Boats awards, sponsored by Raymarine, will be featured in the December issue. Videos of the winners will be available for viewing online at www.sailmagazine.com.
Sail’s editors and judges will focus on 10 categories:
- Flagship monohulls 51 feet and over
- Flagship multihulls 51 feet and over
- Cruising monohulls 41-50 feet
- Cruising multihulls 41-50 feet
- Cruising monohulls 31-40 feet
- Cruising multihulls 31-40 feet
- Small cruisers less than 30 feet
- Performance boats above 31 feet
- Performance boats under 30 feet