The Selden Reversible Winch, from Selden Mast AB, was named the overall winner of the Design Award METS Award 2010 today at the start of the Marine Equipment Trade Show in Amsterdam.
Bill Dixon, chairman of the DAME jury, presented the award. The 20th annual competition attracted 132 products from 19 countries.
"One can see the tremendous effort that the nominees have put into identifying new product opportunities and then ensuring that these designs meet the ever-more-demanding customer expectations," Dixon said. "These are the products that we hope will excite the end user, to invest both in new boats and equipment, all designed to enhance the overall experience of today's demanding boater."
This year's category winners are:
- Marine electronics: ZS RopeSense, Spinlock Ltd., United Kingdom
- Interior equipment, furnishings, materials and electrical fittings used in cabins: Barigo Steel Mel, Barigo Barometerfabrik GmbH, Germany
- Deck equipment, sails, and rigging: Selden Reversible Winch, Selden Mast AB, Sweden
- Life-saving and safety equipment: Jet-trak, Global Marine Tracking Systems S.L. (Seetrac), Spain
- Machinery, propulsion, mechanical and electrical systems and fittings: Panda 45 i PMS generator, Fischer Panda GmbH, Germany
- Marine-related software: Marine: Mediterranean HD, Navionics S.p.a., Italy
Special certificates were awarded to:
- Most Eco-Friendly Product certificate: Converter NV Series, Officine Meccaniche Pejrani S.r.l., Italy
- Most Innovative Product certificate: Marine: Mediterranean HD, Navionics S.p.a., Italy
- Most Innovative Product certificate: SiMON2 (squared), Palladium Technologies Inc., United States
METS is the world's largest trade exhibition of equipment, materials and systems for the international marine leisure industry.