Metstrade opened today with the announcement of the 30th anniversary DAME Awards, presented during the show’s annual Breakfast Briefing. DAME Jury chair Andre Hoek gave the 2021 DAME Award to the Volvo Penta Assisted Docking System.
Volvo Penta’s Assisted Docking works with its IPS pod drives and integrates with its joystick technology, adding automated functionality that compensates for such conditions as tide, wind and current when approaching a dock.
The system uses software developed with the company’s GPS-based Dynamic Positioning System and includes a “human-machine interface” (HMI) at the helm and other technology for a smoother docking experience.
The DAME Jury recognized the significant amount of R&D by Volvo Penta to make the system intuitive and perfectly matched to its joystick control and glass bridge, which the judges said provided a feeling of confidence in the system by any user.
“The lifestyle benefits of marine leisure are drawing in a whole new generation in a way that we could not have imagined just two years ago,” said Hoek in a statement. “Sustainable product lifecycle and making boating more accessible for novice users are critical design priorities as we move through this decade. It is appropriate therefore that the Jury selected the Volvo Penta Assisted Docking system as its DAME Award . . . [it’s] a brilliant example of how we can harness great design and evolving technology to safely remove barriers to entry.”
This year’s awards garnered 103 entries from 25 countries, with the jury nominating 53 products as finalists. In addition to Volvo Penta as the overall winner, 5 products were named as category winners and 15 received special mentions.
This year’s Category winners included:
• Garmin Surround View Camera System in the Marine Electronics and Marine Related Software category
• Dometic Voyager TX Series in the Interior Equipment, Furnishing, Materials and Electrical Fittings used in Cabins category
• Bonomi JOY Self-Tailing Cleat in the Deck Equipment, Sails and Rigging category
• ACR Electronics ResQLink View RLS Personal Locator Beacon in the Lifesaving and Safety Equipment category
• Mastervolt MLI Ultra 1250 and Volvo Penta Assisted Docking shared the Machinery, Propulsion, Mechanical and Electrical Systems and Fittings category
There were no overall winners chosen in the Marina Equipment, Boatyard Equipment and Boat Construction Tools and Materials and Clothing and Crew Accessories categories.
Click here for the list of this year’s special mentions.