Skip to main content

NMMA redirecting Grow Boating funds again

The National Marine Manufacturers Association's board of directors unanimously voted to continue the redirection of Grow Boating funds until June 30, 2010.

Last year, it was agreed that the industry would be better served by redirecting 85 percent of assessments toward efforts designed to increase dealer sales while maintaining some of the Discover Boating campaign's momentum. The other 15 percent would support public relations, DiscoverBoating.com, Marine Industry Dealership Certification, and a few additional core programs.

"The state of the market is such that, with wholesale shipments ... down 70 percent, there just isn't enough funds to create a critical mass for a national advertising campaign," says Thom Dammrich, president of NMMA and Grow Boating Inc. "So it was felt that the manufacturers could use that money more effectively to help their dealers with sales today rather than promoting the lifestyle for future sales.

"All the other aspects of the program are intact and running at full speed," he adds.

Phil Keeter, president of the Marine Retailers Association of America and vice president of Grow Boating Inc., says he was unsure how much money dealers were receiving from manufacturers and how successful that push had been.

"I don't know that they did very well, and I don't know if the amount of money was so small that they just didn't want to mess with it," Keeter says. "But that still needs to be done. That's still the way it is, and that's still the way it should progress."

There's no question, however, that the program is still a success, Dammrich says. Marketing efforts include a Discover Boating Facebook page with more than 6,000 "fans," using Twitter to interact with consumers, adding a "social" room with a blog to DiscoverBoating.com, and the "I Discovered Boating" ad contest, which received nearly 300 entries, Dammrich says.

In addition, public relations efforts are continuing, as the NMMA works to get the word out about the boating lifestyle to television producers and editors in hopes they will run stories on boating.

Dammrich says the board is hoping to resume a national ad campaign next year. "I hope that the market has recovered sufficiently by then that it will make sense to do that," he says.

This article originally appeared in the October 2009 issue.

Related

VOLVO-EARNINGS

Volvo Penta Reports Q4, FY22 Results

Net sales of $470 million for the quarter were a 33% increase compared to the prior year period.

Pulse-Report

DEALERS: Are You Improving the Service Experience?

Our monthly Pulse Report survey asks this and other questions about your dealership. Take the survey here.

NMRA-SCHOLARSHIP

NMRA Sets Scholarship Deadline

Students pursuing education in the marine trades can apply for the National Marine Representatives Association awards until April 1.

MARINE-PRODUCTS

Marine Products Reports Record Q4

The builder of Chaparral and Robalo boats reported net sales were up 42% for the quarter and 28% for fiscal year 2022.

1_SHURHOLD

Shurhold Appoints COO

Forrest Ferrari has years of management, business development, IT and quality-assurance experience.

MOBILE-CATCH-CENTER

RBFF, Pure Fishing Partner for a First Catch Center

Pure Fishing will equip a mobile trailer with tackle and gear to bring fishing experiences to areas of South Carolina where participation is low.

Norm

An Oft-Overlooked Sales Opportunity

A recent report from the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation showed that women comprise 37% of all anglers. If you haven’t tapped this segment, you’re missing out.

1. 2023 new boat retail outlook

Too Many High-Priced Boats

To wrap up 2022, marine retailers reported lower demand, expressed more negative sentiment and voiced concerns about rising inventory. Boat prices and the economy remained top of mind for dealers in December.

Soundings Nov 2022

New-Boat Registrations Continue to Slide

As the gaudy sales figures from the pandemic continue to return to more realistic numbers, the main segments of the recreational boating industry saw new-model registrations of 4,421 in November, a 30.3% drop from 6,340 during the same time in 2021. .