To start boating and fishing season, several industry organizations will host what they're calling "Boat. Fish. Live. At National Marina Day" June 12.
The Association of Marina Industries; the Marine Retailers Association of America; the National Marine Manufacturers Association; the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation and several others are involved in the program.
To mark National Marina Day June 12, along with National Fishing & Boating Week, National Get Outdoors Day and other events during Great Outdoors Month, 10 marinas across the country will host events where consumers can participate in boating and fishing demonstrations, educational activities, test-drive boats and more.
"With all of these organizations having the same general goal of safely putting people on the water boating and fishing, it makes sense that we should work together," AMI legislative coordinator Wendy Larimer said in a statement.
"When AMI moved the date of its annual National Marina Day to June, it coincided with the last day of National Fishing & Boating Week. It's the perfect time to motivate consumers who think they may be interested in boating, but haven't yet experienced the boating lifestyle," she added.
So far, nine marinas have been selected to host events:
- Anchorage Marina in Baltimore
- Aqualand Marina in Lake Lanier, Ga.
- Bill Bird Marina at Haulover Park in Miami
- Callville Bay Resort & Marina in Lake Mead, Nev.
- Colony Marine at Algonac Harbor Club in Algonac, Mich.
- Grande Dunes Resort & Marina in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- Marina Bay at Boston Harbor in North Quincy, Mass.
- New Rochelle Municipal Marina in New Rochelle, N.Y.
- Scotts Landing in Grapevine, Texas
A Web site for "Boat. Fish. Live. At National Marina Day" is being developed and will be launched in April.