Twelve Maryland marinas were presented with Governor's Citation awards recently for being certified as Clean Marinas.
"Every Marylander has a role in helping to restore the health of the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries," Gov. Martin O'Malley said in a statement. "I want to commend these business owners for making a significant contribution to this effort."
To receive certification, a marina must meet regulatory requirements as well as implement a number of recommendations from the Maryland Clean Marina Guidebook in areas such as sewage handling, waste containment and disposal, and marina management. The marinas must meet minimum scores - 75 to 80 percent - in each area of the Award Checklist and pass a site inspection.
The Clean Marinas receiving the Governor's Citation were:
* Annapolis City Dock
* Annapolis Maryland Capital Yacht Club
* Annapolis Yacht Club Sailing Center
* Campbell's Boatyard at Jack's Point (Oxford)
* Clark's Landing Marine Center (Chester)
* Gunpowder Neck Boat Club (Aberdeen Proving Ground MWR)
* Mill Creek Marina (Naval Station Annapolis)
* Nanticoke Harbor Marina (Nanticoke)
* National Harbor Marina (Oxon Hill)
* Tradewinds Marina (Baltimore)
* West Basin Marina (Patuxent River Naval Air Station)
* Yacht Basin Company (Annapolis)