West Marine, the nation's largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, is seeking entries for its third annual Green Product of the Year contest.
As part of its BlueFuture initiative to help create a sustainable future for our planet, West Marine continues to search for innovative green boating products, the company said. The Green Product of the Year will be announced, and the award of $10,000 will be presented, at the 2012 Miami International Boat Show in February.
The competition is free and open to individuals, manufacturers, distributors and/or inventors. Judges will select the winner based on the following criteria:
• Effectiveness: Is the product as effective as competitive products in the marketplace?
• Economical: Is the product priced competitively with existing solutions or similar products in the market? This can be measured on a per-use basis or a cost-justified basis.
• Environmental impact: How does the use of this product benefit the environment? Because of the diversity of product categories, this could be expressed in reduced fuel consumption, reduction of chemicals of concern, reduced air or water pollution, healthier or more abundant fish stocks or other metrics.
• Degree of innovation: Was the product introduced to the marketplace in 2010 or 2011, or will it be introduced in 2012? Is the product different from anything else in the marketplace? Does the product incorporate new materials or technologies?
• Verification of claims: All environmental or efficacy claims must be verifiable and substantiated by an independent third party. Entries must provide actual data, test results, laboratory analyses, etc.
The deadline for submissions is Dec. 1.