West Marine, the nation's largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, is accepting nominations for its third annual Green Product of the Year Award.
The contest was expanded this year to include all of the United States, including the District of Columbia, as well as Puerto Rico and Canada (excluding the province of Quebec). By expanding the contest, West Marine hopes to encourage green-product development throughout the marine industry, the company said.
The Green Product of the Year is an important component of West Marine's BlueFuture initiative to help create a sustainable future for our planet. The Green Product of the Year will be announced and the award of $10,000 will be presented to the winner at the 2012 Miami International Boat Show.
The winning product will be chosen based on its effectiveness, price, environmental impact and degree of innovation.
"West Marine strives to be a leader in sustainability. We hope to inspire the marine industry to create environmentally friendly products to preserve and protect the oceans and waterways that we all enjoy,” CEO Geoff Eisenberg said in a statement.
The panel of judges includes:
• Randy Kochevar, Stanford University's Hopkins Marine Station
• Stan Honey, ocean racing navigator and founder of Etak and SportVision
• Bill Lee, owner of Wizard Yacht Sales
• Jim Leishman, owner and vice president of Nordhavn Yachts
• Laura Strohm, president of Strohm Sustainability Consulting
• Margaret Podlich, vice president of government affairs at BoatUS
• Mike Sutton, vice president and director of the Center for the Future of the Oceans at Monterey Bay Aquarium
• Randy Repass, chairman and founder of West Marine
• Chuck Hawley, vice president of product information at West Marine
• Ron Japinga, executive vice president of merchandising and logistics at West Marine
Participants can enter the contest, as well as view the complete rules and entry requirements, by completing an entry form at westmarine.com/green between now and Dec. 1.