West Marine will celebrate the grand opening of its Mystic, Conn., store from Friday through Sunday, including a ribbon cutting at 8 a.m. Saturday that will feature penguins from Mystic Aquarium.
The retailer’s Spring Open House also will feature deals, expert advice and hourly raffles all weekend long.
Mystic store manager Travis Chamberland said he is among many boaters who are eager to celebrate the end of winter by getting back to life on the water.
“Our customers have consistently told us how excited they are with the selection of merchandise we have and cannot wait for the opportunity to use it out on the water,” Chamberland said in a statement. “Having our penguin neighbors celebrate with us makes it all the more special.”
Some of the raffle items the West Marine Mystic crew will give away during the weekend include a Jimmy Styx Stand-up Paddleboard; a $100 West Marine gift card; a Raymarine Dragonfly 4; a Maptech Chart Kit; and tickets to the start of the Newport (R.I.) leg of the Volvo Ocean Race.
There also will be free refreshments, hot dogs and in-store demonstrations, including spring-prep tips for boating season. Representatives of Mystic Aquarium will talk to the public about their animal rescue program, which protects marine life in the region.
The store includes:
- An engine parts counter with more than 1,000 SKUs of engine and steering-related replacement parts from brands such as Sierra, Quiksilver, Champion and Seastar
- Fishing gear tailored to local waters
- Hundreds of accessories, including waterproof Bluetooth speakers, floating phone cases, multi-tools, hydration supplies and gadgets
- Apparel from brands such as Helly Hansen, Guy Harvey and O’Neill
- Kayaks and paddleboards and a broad range of paddling accessories
- 5,300 square feet of core boating products