The American Boat & Yacht Council is hosting its 10 annual standards week January 7-11 at the Renaissance Hotel in Seattle, Wash.
The nonprofit organization develops the safety standards for the design, construction, maintenance and repair of recreational boats. During the week, ABYC will hold Project Technical Committee meetings during which standards will be reviewed and update.
Other events taking place during the week include ABYC’s annual meeting and cocktail reception on January 7 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. and the Marine Law Symposium on January 8.
“ABYC standards week provides multiple platforms in one location for marine professionals to participate and contribute,” Ward Eshelman, president of Ward’s Marine Electric, said in a statement. “This includes standards review and development in the PTC meetings, industry news and networking at the annual meeting, and professional career development at the Marine Law Symposium. I always view standards week as very important for my business gain.”
ABYC says that participation in standards week is “critical in the development of ABYC safety standards.” Attendees learn which standards are being revised or newly considered and how it could affect the future of recreational boating.
Following is a list of the PTC meetings and topics that will be covered this year:
- Electrical: Lithium batteries, lightning protection, cathodic protection
- Engine and Powertrain: On-water engine emissions testing, exhaust systems
- Control Systems: Wireless controls, zone of protection, joystick requirements, dynamic positioning
- Electrical Component: Galvanic isolators, battery switches, ignition protection
- Hull and Deck Structures: Towed water sports attachment points, strong points, reboarding means, lifelines, windows and portlights.
- Navigation Lights and Sound Signals: LED navigation lights
- Hull Piping: Bilge pumps, water systems, seacocks, through-hull fittings
- Product Interface: Owners and operators manuals, warnings and labels
Find additional information at www.abycstandardsweek.com.