BoatUS released its list of the top 10 boat names for 2017, and Serenity is No. 1.
The names come from tallying requests for names to the BoatUS Graphics service and BoatUS said each one reveals much about the personality of the boat’s owner.
Here is this year’s list and their meanings:
- Serenity (the utter calm and quietude boating brings)
- Seas the Day (a nautical wordplay on the Latin saying “Carpe diem,” taking boating to its fullest)
- Andiamo (“Let’s go!” in Italian and a perennial favorite boat name)
- Irish Wake (mourning and merrymaking after the death of a family member or friend)
- Freedom (patriotic name that first appeared on the Top 10 Names List in 2004)
- Adagio (Italian for “at a slow tempo”; represents how boating reduces stress in our hectic lives)
- Ohana (from the Hawaiian culture, meaning “family” in an extended sense)
- Oasis (a fertile spot in a desert where water is found; symbolizes boating’s ability to refresh and nourish our daily lives)
- Happy Ours (a playful take on the good feeling you get at the afternoon communal cocktail time)
- Firefly (making the list for the first time; it’s thought that the kids picked this one)
All of the BoatUS Top 10 Boat Names lists over the years, and a directory of more than 9,000 boat names, can be found at BoatUS.com/boatnames.