Skip to main content

Brokerage sales fall 1 percent through June; sales value increases

Across the U.S. brokerage market we observed three market-shifting trends during the first half of the year.

Sales took place more quickly, and at higher average prices. Although an incrementally lower number of boats were sold, the boats were more expensive and generally longer.

The brokerage powerboat market has gradually shifted out of the under-26-foot range and the sailboat market has concentrated above 36 feet.

Let’s review the specifics:

A slide in small-boat sales, especially those under 26 feet, led to a 1 percent dip across the United States for the first half of 2017, compared with the same period last year. A total of 15,147 boats were sold, down from 15,304, according to reports by YachtWorld member brokers in SoldBoats, their proprietary database.

The total value of sales rose for the same period, from $1.97 billion to $2.17 billion — a 10 percent increase. All segments up to 55 feet shared in the gain, even the small-boat segments that reported lower volume.

The strongest segments on a volume basis were 36 to 45 feet, up 2 percent as 3,390 boats were sold, and the 46- to 55-foot range, where sales rose 5 percent as 933 boats changed hands.

The superyacht sector — boats larger than 80 feet — performed well, as 114 boats were sold, up from 103, and they delivered $536 million, compared with $448 million the year before.

A positive sign for brokers across the market was the speed of sales; the average boat listed and sold on YachtWorld took 256 days to sell, a period 3 percent shorter than in 2016.

The biggest improvement by this measure was boats from 26 to 35 feet, which sold 8 percent faster, at an average of 257 days.

Sailboat sales were virtually even for the first half of the year, as 2,605 boats were sold. The total value of sales and the average sold price rose by 13 percent with $223.8 million changing hands at an average boat price of $85,920.

Powerboat sales, which represented 83 percent of the market, were off 1 percent as 12,542 boats were sold. The total value of powerboat sales increased 10 percent to $1.95 billion and the average sold price was up 11 percent at $155,276.

John Burnham is the managing editor of Boats Group.

This article originally appeared in the August 2017 issue.

Related

AMI-Awards

AMI Announces Certified Members

The association recognized new certified marina manager and certified operators during the opening day keynote at its annual conference and expo.

1_TOPSIDE

TopSide Acquires April Plaza Marina

The marina is the second largest and longest operating marina on Lake Conroe in Montgomery, Tex.

1_POLARIS

Polaris Reports Record FY22, Q4 Sales

The company reported a 15% increase in annual sales and 21% sales growth in the fourth quarter.

1_DOCKMATE

Dockmate Appoints Sales Manager

Bill Karmis comes to the company after more than a decade working in the marine controls industry and with a lifetime of boating experience.

AMI-PRE-CONFERENCE

AMI Hosts Pre-Conference Sessions

The sessions on leadership and marina management, and a tour of a nearby marina and boatyard operation, precede today’s official kickoff of the group’s annual conference.

1_DEALER.OUTLOOK

Boating’s Greatest Thingamabob

The Seattle Boat Show kicks off next week with nearly 300 exhibitors, 800 new boats and the construction of a 100-foot Rube Goldberg boat machine.

1_YEARGIN copy

Business for Good

Companies have a unique platform to make people’s lives better through products and services, how we treat employees and the kind of advocate we are for our industry.

1_PULSE.PING.2

Are You Improving the Service Experience?

This month’s Pulse Report survey asks dealers about tactics being employed to improve the service department, along with other questions about retail conditions. Take the survey here.

1_OFF.THE.HOOK.JPG

Off the Hook Yacht Sales Acquires Two Marinas

The company announced that it purchased facilities in Hampstead, N.C., and Georgetown, Md.