Boating Writers International added the category of boating photography and videos to its 22nd annual Writing Contest, which recognizes excellence in boating, fishing and travel journalism in 17 categories.
The contest, which has an entry deadline of Dec. 31, will award $500 for first place, $300 for second place and $200 for third place in each category.
Photography is a standalone category; videos may be entered in the updated Online Expressions category.
Last year's contest attracted 131 participants who submitted 337 entries.
Entries are judged by BWI member journalists. The awards will be presented during BWI’s annual meeting on Feb. 13 at the Miami International Boat Show.
BWI members in good standing receive two free submissions to the contest; non-members can enter the contest at a cost of $50 for each submission.
Contest details, category definitions and entry information are available in a digital brochure. Results of previous years' contests, as well as links to winning submissions, can be found at www.bwi.org under the “contest” tab.
Here is the complete 2014 list of categories and sponsors:
- Boating Columns, KVH Industries Inc.
- Boating Lifestyles, Discover Boating
- Boating Profiles, ZF Marine
- Boating Travel or Destinations, Martin Flory Group
- Boating Adventure, Yamaha Marine Group
- Boat/Engine Care & Maintenance, Interlux Yacht Finishes
- Boating Photography, Freedom Boat Club
- Ethics & Environment, sponsorship open
- Fishing, Suzuki Motor Corp.
- Boating Issues, News & Analysis, Mercury Marine
- The Business of Boating, Home Port Marine Marketing
- Seamanship, Rescue & Safety, Sea Tow Services International
- Technical Writing, Dometic Marine
- Boat Tests & Reviews, Volvo Penta
- Gear, Electronics & Product Tests, Xantrex/Schneider Electric
- Boat Projects, Renovations & Retrofits, Awlgrip North America
- Online Expressions (including videos), BoatUS