The Santa Cruz Small Craft Harbor reopened for boat traffic at 5 p.m. Tuesday, less than two weeks after a tsunami struck the California harbor, causing more than $26 million in damage.
"NOAA completed the survey and didn't see any obstructions. That's why we're able to lift the safety zone," Coast Guard spokeswoman Laura Williams told the Santa Cruz Sentinel newspaper.
Nine boats sank during the tsunami, and five others were sinking when they were pulled out. Ten of the 14 boats were destroyed, officials said.
Damage to private vessels has been estimated at $4 million.
In Oregon, that state's federal lawmakers are asking President Obama to issue a disaster declaration for part of southern Oregon that was battered by this month's tsunami.
The Port of Brookings harbor suffered more than $6 million in damage when waves knocked boats off their moorings, dashing them onto docks and each other.
"There were twisted and broken docks, sunken boats, holes in sides of boats, everything was in chaos. It was like the harbor had been turned into a giant washing machine," Sen. Jeff Merkley told the press.
Merkley said the declaration may take a few weeks to finalize. It would require approval from the Office of Management and Budget and the Department of Homeland Security.