Robert E. Derecktor Inc., in partnership with Paul Derecktor and John Koenig, purchased Robinhood Marine Center in Georgetown, Maine.
Robinhood Marine Center was sold March 7 to Derecktor Maine, a partnership of Paul Derecktor, John Koenig and Derecktor Shipyards.
The facility will be renamed Derecktor/Robinhood. The purchase price was not disclosed.
Derecktor Maine hired Neil Collins as general manager. Collins spent the past 10 years at Maine Yacht Center in Portland.
Since 1981 Robinhood Marine Center had been owned by Andy Vavolitis, who was looking to turn operations over to experienced boatyard people, according to a press release from LandVest, the real estate company that brokered the sale. The deal includes the Osprey restaurant, an on-site library, a museum, a general store, more than 17,000 square feet of storage and 77 slips.
Derecktor Shipyard was established by boatbuilder Robert E. Derecktor in 1947 and has become known worldwide for building a range of innovative and technically demanding vessels, from swift America’s Cup defenders to commercial workboats.
Today, under the guidance of Bob’s son, Paul, Derecktor operates two facilities: Derecktor New York in Mamaroneck and Derecktor Florida in Dania Beach.
Derecktor is known for custom yacht and commercial construction and has full service, repair and refit capabilities at each of its yards.
Koenig is a longtime friend and associate of Paul Derecktor. Together they founded a high-speed ferry company in New York harbor, building two 36-meter catamarans at Derecktor New York.
Koenig subsequently ran the company, which carried commuters from Monmouth County, N.J., into Manhattan. He also owned and operated a marina and boatyard in Sandy Hook, N.J., until Hurricane Sandy destroyed it.