Discover Boating shared Twitter tips for boat manufacturers and dealers as part of its Social Media 101 summer series.
Twitter is a social media platform where users can share thoughts, news and other information in 140 characters or less. It’s where many users choose to get their news and follow influencers such as media, celebrities and brands of interest.
It has more than 300 million monthly users; more than 500 million tweets are sent each day. Businesses receive 14 percent more engagement on weekdays.
For those new to Twitter, here is a helpful starting point:
- Tweet: A tweet is a message posted on Twitter that can contain text, photos, links and videos.
- Reply: Click “reply” to respond to anyone’s tweet. Replying to a tweet is a way to show you’re listening and provide helpful answers.
- Retweet: A retweet is sharing a tweet from someone else with your followers. Click the retweet button to share the tweet as is or quote the tweet to add a comment of your own.
- Like: A like is a simple way to acknowledge a tweet. It can also be useful to use as a bookmarking tool if you want to easily find a tweet again. Tap the heart icon to like a tweet, and the author will see that you appreciate it.
- Mention: Bring a tweet to another person’s attention by including their @username in your message. You could use it to ask someone a question, thank them or simply to highlight a piece of content.