Skip to main content

Florida campaign focuses on sewage disposal

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection's Clean Vessel Act grant program launched "Pitch In-Pump Out," this week, a new awareness campaign to inform marinas and boaters about keeping Florida's waterways clean through the proper disposal of boater sewage.

Capt. Rick Murphy, the official spokesman for Pitch In-Pump Out, is a well-known Florida sportsman and host of "Sportsman's Adventures with Captain Rick Murphy" on SunSports. He will be featured on television and radio ads airing statewide spreading the message to pitch in and pump out.

"We are very excited to begin this campaign with Capt. Rick Murphy and encourage boaters and marinas to be active in protecting Florida's waterways," DEP interim secretary Mimi Drew said in a statement. "It is important that boaters know how to properly dispose of sewage and that marinas know about the grant money available right now to help them purchase and operate pumpout equipment."

Marine facilities can take advantage of Clean Vessel Act grants that reimburse 75 percent of the total costs of approved pumpout projects, leaving the marina responsible for 25 percent of the total in matching funds.

To offset out-of-pocket expense, the program also allows facilities to count in-house labor costs and pumpout boat trade-in values toward meeting the required match. With an average cost of $12,000 to $75,000, pumpout projects allow sewage to be removed from a boat and then disposed of through established treatment procedures.

With more than 2,000 marinas, Florida has the largest number of marine facilities in the country, according to the state DEP.

Click here for the full release.

Related

1_MIASF

MIASF Holds Annual Meeting

The South Florida trade organization announced new and reelected members, handed out awards, and arranged presentations by business leaders.

1_GASPRICE

Gas Reaches Record $4.59 Per Gallon Average

With Memorial Day weekend approaching, the summer driving and boating seasons will contribute to continued demand for gasoline.

1_MILLERMARINE

Power Lodge Acquires Miller Marine

The deal gives marine and powersports dealer Power Lodge four locations in Minnesota and one in Florida.

1_DOWDIVE

Boating Shares Suffer in Market Selloff

Major U.S. stock indices weakened yesterday, and recreational marine shares fared even worse on a percentage basis.

1_SCANIAFRANZKE

Scania Appoints President of U.S. Operations

Company veteran Jorg Franzke replaces Håkan Sterner, who is returning to Sweden.

norm

Promote Safe Boating Week; a Fishing Icon Passes

The May 21-27 observance takes on heightened importance with the thousands of newcomers to boating. Meanwhile, bass fishing lost a legend with the death of Ray Scott.

1_AZIMUTIBACKLOG

Azimut-Benetti Booked $2.1B in 2021 Backlog

The builder said new models and a “diversified product portfolio” drove sales growth to record levels.