The IBEX Innovation Awards were presented this morning during the industry breakfast at the International BoatBuilders’ Exhibition and Conference. The award program is managed by the National Marine Manufacturers Association and judged by Boating Writers International.
Eight BWI judges selected the new-product winners from more than 100 entries, the largest field to date.
“IBEX has been rewarding ingenuity and honoring excellence with the Innovation Awards since 2003,” show director Anne Dunbar said in a statement. “The gorgeous crystal awards are displayed proudly by hundreds of marine manufacturers that we have recognized over the years for bringing new, innovative products to market. We could not have elevated these awards to this level without our partnership with Boating Writers International and the technical expertise they bring to the judging process.”
The winners in each of the 15 categories:
- Boatbuilding Methods and Materials: Teakdecking Systems, Lignia Yacht Teak Alternative
“In an age of synthetic decks, a real wood solution takes the prize,” said judge Phil Gutowski.
- Boatyard and Marina Hardware and Software: Cojali USA, Jaltest Marine
“A relief for marine mechanics. Proprietary engine diagnostic tools may soon be replaced by this manufacturer of diagnostic testing gear,” Gutowski said.
- Covering: Strex fasteners
“Save your fingers and your boat with Strex Fasteners that works on existing covers and makes it no longer a pain to cover your boat,” said judge Brady Kay.
- Deck Equipment and Hardware: LilliPad Marine, Revo boarding ladder
“The Revo Boarding Ladder is like a stairway to heaven, making access to the boat from the water easy for everyone,” said judge Capt. Barb Carey.
- Electrical Systems: Triskel Marine, Integral Advanced Generator Replacement Technology
“A serious game-changer in the industry, the Integral system is a serious leap in power generation. Nigel Calder can finally retire,” Prochazka said.
- Entertainment: Roswell Marine, R1 Pro tower speakers
“With the industry’s first light permeable speaker housing, Roswell Marine Pro tower speakers will transform your evenings on the water into an experience for the senses,” said judge Capt. Debbie Hanson.
- Furnishings and Interior Parts: Teak Isle Manufacturing, pontoon folding table with tray
“We applaud the inventive use of what is normally wasted space for entertaining on board pontoons,” said judge Andy Adams.
- Inboard Engines: Volvo Penta, next-generation D4/D6 marine propulsion systems
“The ability to re-engineer the D4 and D6 propulsion systems brought out about higher horsepower, better fuel efficiency, significantly lower maintenance cost, extended service intervals and stationary positioning for sterndrives,” said judge Alan Wendt.
- Lighting: Quality Mark, H2O Light Saver
“Made to bend and not break, the H2O Light Saver eliminates the need to lower or remove your stern light when an obstacle may arise,” Kay said
Mechanical Systems (dual winners)
- Dometic Corp., Turbo Global air conditioner
“The air conditioner to replace them all. Dometic goes global with support for any voltage around the world,” Gutowski said.
- Mate USA, UP8-RE reversible electronic pump
“A simple gear pump that integrates flow rate control and reversibility without external components,” Gutowski said.
- OEM Electronics: Dometic Corp., E-Actuator
“Ditch the hoses, ditch the hydraulic fluid, ditch the pumps — the Optimus E-Actuator eliminates them all,” said judge Lenny Rudow.
- Outboard Engines: Evinrude, E-TEC
“Finally, a 115-horse 2-stroke that can compete head to head against any 4-stroke on the market and, in some ways, maybe even beat it,” Rudow said.
- Propulsion Parts, Propellers: PowerTech Propellers, Propeller Scanalyzer
“With so many twin-, triple- and quad-engine boats, there has to be a great market for prop repair and tuning,” Adams said.
- Safety Equipment: Vesper Marine, Cortex
“Cortex — it’s not a VHF radio, but it is. It’s not an AIS, but it is. It’s not a MOB system, but it is. And it’s a whole lot more,” Rudow said.
Honorable Mention: Telesafe, Engine Inhibitor Unit