Commissioners in Valley County, Idaho, are proposing an ordinance that would limit wakesurfing to 1,000 feet off the shore of Payette Lake. The National Marine Manufacturers Association opposes the ban and is encouraging industry members and enthusiasts to submit comments by this Sunday, April 14.
The commissioners’ proposal contains the following provisions:
- All night time travel will be restricted to less than 5 mph
- All wakesurfing will be banned on Warm Lake
- Wake boats will be limited to the very center areas of the Payette Lake
- Third offense penalties will be $1,000, 6 months in jail, and banishment from all Valley County waterways for one year
- Any wake or wave estimated to be over 24 inches will result in a fine
- Personal Water Craft (PWC) will, 1) not be operated by anyone under 16 years of age without an adult on board 2) drivers will have passed the state boater safety course; and 3) will operate at no-wake speed within 300 feet of shore.
The NMMA says the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation doesn’t support the proposal and says that the measure would discourage tourism and have severe economic impacts on the local economies.
Contact information and details on hearings can be found here.