Illinois governor JB Pritzker has authorized grant funding totaling $653,710 for six communities to improve public boating access.
The Illinois Boat Access Area Development Program provides financial assistance to local government agencies so they can acquire, build, expand or rehabilitate public boat and canoe access. The program provides up to 100 percent of approved project construction costs and 90 percent of approved land-acquisition costs. There is a limit of $200,000 per project per year.
Applications were submitted between July 1 and August 19 of last year. Revenue for the program is derived from marine motor fuel tax and boat and canoe registration fees.
A list of this year’s Boat Access Area Development grant recipients and project information is below:
- GRANT RECIPIENT PROJECT TITLE COUNTY GRANT AMOUNT
- Calumet City, City of Cal-City Canoe Launch, Little Calumet River, Cook County $80,000
- Cook County Forest Preserve District Schuth's Grove Canoe Launch, Cook County $80,000
- Galesburg, City of West Lake Storey Boat Ramp Bathroom, Knox County $23,450
- Jacksonville, City of Lake Mauvaisterre Boat Access, Morgan County $200,000
- Marengo, City of Paddle the Kish, McHenry County $70,260
- Marseilles, City of Marseilles Public Boat Launch, LaSalle County $200,000