At the MMTA 2022 Business of Boating Conference held on Thursday, January 20, the organization presented Larry Russo Sr., with the Frank Farrell Distinguished Service Award.
The award is given in honor of the late Frank Farrell (1928-2001), a co-founder in 1957 of the New England Boat Show who helped form the MMTA in 1964. Russo Sr.’s father, John Russo, was a founding member of the MMTA.
Russo, Sr., has spent nearly 60 years in the recreational boating industry and is the fourth recipient of the MMTA Frank Farrell award, joining Joe O’Neil, former owner of the New England Boat Show, Dick Egan of Crosby Yacht Yard and Ed Lofgren of 3A Marine.
“To say Larry is deserving of this award would be a clear understatement based on the accomplishments and impact he has made in the recreational boating industry here in Massachusetts and nationally,” Randall Lyons, executive director of the MMTA, said in a statement.
Some of the leadership roles that Russo, Sr., has held over the years include:
· MMTA board of directors from 1977 to the present; MMTA president 1983-1984
· MMTA president Boston in-water boat show 1992-2014
· MRAA board of directors 1982 to 1995; MRAA president 1988-1989
· Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation board of directors 2002-2007
· NMMA Grow Boating Dealer Quality Task Force chairman 2004-2006
· MRAA Marine Industry Dealership Certification chairman 2006
· Sea Tow Safety Foundation board of directors 2008-2014
· Grow Boating board of directors 2012-2020
· NMMA/MRAA BoatPac Board of Directors 2017 –
· Recipient of the MRAA Irv Rosenthal Leadership Award, 1991
· Recipient of the NMMA Hammond Leadership Award, 1997
· Recipient of the MMTA Marine Industry Advocate Award, 2007
“I’m honored and proud to co-present this award to my dad. His life-long commitment to improving the business of boating has truly made our industry better for all involved,” said Larry Russo Jr., at the Business of Boating Conference.
The conference was held at the Lakeview Pavilion in Foxboro, Mass. More than 200 attendees took part in the in-person and online event.