MRAA to study the use of Grow Boating funds


The Marine Retailers Association of America board of directors will launch a study into how 85 percent of Grow Boating engine assessment funds were used last year to increase boat sales.

The Advisory Council of Marine Associations has asked the board to look into the issue.

When the Grow Boating national campaign was suspended, 85 percent of the assessments were intended to go toward efforts designed to increase dealer sales, while maintaining some of the Discover Boating campaign's momentum. The other 15 percent would support public relations,, Marine Industry Dealership Certification and a few additional core programs.

ACMA has been unable to find dealers who can substantiate receipt of any Grow Boating support, and the 85 percent of Grow Boating engine assessment funds that were to be used to directly assist retailers in the sale of boats has not been so used, the MRAA reports.

"MRAA highly values the recommendations of ACMA and will work in 2010 to implement them as well as other government issues as they arise," MRAA chairman Ed Lofgren said in a statement.

Thom Dammrich, president of the National Marine Manufacturers Association and Grow Boating Inc., was out of the country this morning and not immediately available for comment.

ACMA also recommended the MRAA should continue all efforts to retain federal ethanol gasoline additive standards of E10 and oppose any attempt to increase ethanol additive levels beyond that level and asked the MRAA to actively pursue, support and lobby fishing issues in its government relations work.

Click here for the full release.


Fairline Yachts Acquired

For the third time in five years, the esteemed U.K. builder has changed hands.

Free Fishing Fun with Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops

To launch their Gone Fishing promotion, the outdoors companies are donating 40,000 rods and reels to youth-fishing partners and holding free in-store fishing events June 19-20.

Yamaha Rightwaters to Support Wetlands Conservation

The marine manufacturer’s national sustainability program will sponsor the Ducks Unlimited Gulf Coast Initiative.

Boatsetter Enters Global Luxury Yacht Market

With its Boatsetter Lux service, the company is expanding its peer-to-peer rental market into the luxury category.

A Collective Voice Against Tariffs

Organizations in the E.U. and U.S. have issued a statement ahead of next week’s Brussels Summit urging for the termination of retaliatory tariffs.

ABYC Free Webinar Series Returns

The association’s online learning events will continue with “Fuel System Troubleshooting” on June 17.

Getting to Know the Newbies

At last week’s Partners Outdoors symposium, RBFF’s Stephanie Vatalaro shared information that can help the marine industry get to know its new audiences.

Switching to Compostable Bags

Foul-weather gear maker Grundéns will start using eco-packaging that you can cut up and use in the garden.