The National Marine Electronics Association named its 2019 award recipients at the NMEA/RTCM Marine Electronics Conference and Expo held last week in Portsmouth, Va.
A total of 18 products received top honors in three award competitions: NMEA Product of Excellence Awards and Manufacturer of the Year (voted on by NMEA membership), the NMEA Technology Award and, new this year, the Best New Product Award for manufacturers that introduce new products at the conference.
“On behalf of the NMEA board of directors, staff and membership body, we congratulate all 2019 award winners," NMEA president and executive director Mark Reedenauer said in a statement. "The entrant count for the Best New Product Award exceeded our expectations, which sends the message that there is extreme value for manufacturers to introduce new products at the NMEA Conference, where only the trade can view these new innovations.”
The Best New Product Award went to Vesper Marine for Cortex, the first marine VHF with wireless touchscreen handsets, a built-in Class B smart AIS transponder and remote vessel monitoring, according to the NMEA.
Raymarine/FLIR’S ClearCruise AR was chosen as the NMEA Technology Award recipient out of a pool of 11 entrants.
“ClearCruise AR is an industry-first technology that combines augmented reality and advanced image stabilization to help boaters make smarter and faster navigation decisions by placing visual overlays of nav aids, AIS traffic and destination waypoints on Raymarine Axiom multifunction displays," the judges said. "The overlays identify nearby AIS-equipped vessels with color-coding to warn of traffic that could pose threats. At the heart of the system is a blending of high-definition digital or thermal video from networked Raymarine or FLIR marine cameras and dynamic graphics.”
Garmin won the Manufacturer of the Year Award for the fifth consecutive year.
NMEA also presented Product of Excellence Awards in 16 categories:
- Marine VHF: ICOM M605
- Satellite TV antenna: KVH TracVision TV3
- Radar: Furuno DRS4DNXT
- Fishfinder — Furuno DFF3D Multi-Beam 3D
- Satellite communications antenna: KVH TracPhone V3HTS
- Marine camera: FLIR M400XR
- Multifunction display: Garmin GPSMAP 8616xsv
- AIS: Furuno FA170 Class A
- Multimedia entertainment: Fusion Apollo RA770
- Autopilot: Garmin Reactor 40 with SmartPump v2
- NMEA 2000 sensor: Furuno SC33 satellite compass
- Remote monitoring: GOST Apparition SM GPS XVR
- Marine PC software: Nobeltec TZ Professional
- Wi-Fi/Cellular Device — KVH TracPhone LTE-1
- Marine apps-utility: Garmin ActiveCaptain
- Commercial: Furuno FAR2228BB IMO radar