The National Marine Manufacturers Association today announced the top 10 boating states, and to provide on-water vacation ideas, Discover Boating, the industry's consumer awareness effort, named the best boating destinations within each state.
"We anticipate this summer to be one of the busiest for boating, as more Americans are looking to spend time with family and friends close to home," said Ellen Hopkins, spokeswoman for Discover Boating, in a statement.
Below are the top 10 boating states in order by total annual expenditures for new powerboats, engines, trailers and accessories in 2008:
1. Florida ($1.5 billion); hot spot: Sarasota
2. Texas ($1 billion); hot spot: Corpus Christi
3. California ($594 million); hot spot: Carlsbad (north of San Diego)
4. New York ($509 million); hot spot: Lake George
5. North Carolina ($504 million); hot spot: Morehead City (part of North Carolina's Crystal Coast on the Outer Banks)
6. Delaware ($443 million); hot spot: Indian River
7. Louisiana ($433 million); hot spot: Caddo Lake
8. Washington ($402 million); hot spot: Wynoochee Lake
9. Minnesota ($382 million); hot spot: Leech Lake.
10. Michigan ($373 million); hot spot: Harbor Springs