Updated:
Original:

Utility companies pull out of Cape Wind project

Two utility companies terminated their contracts to buy most of the power generated by the proposed Cape Wind wind farm in Nantucket Sound in the latest development in the $2.5 billion project.

National Grid and Northeast Utilities said Cape Wind officials missed a Dec. 31 deadline to secure financing and begin construction, according to a WBUR report. Cape Wind officials called the terminations invalid and said the company is protected by provisions in its contracts.

NStar, a Northeast Utilities subsidiary, informed Cape Wind officials of its decision late Tuesday, officials told the Boston Globe.

“Unfortunately, Cape Wind has missed these critical milestones,” Northeast Utilities spokeswoman Caroline Pretyman told the Globe in an e-mail. “Additionally, Cape Wind has chosen not to exercise their right to post financial security in order to extend the contract deadlines. Therefore, the contract is now terminated.”

In a separate e-mail, National Grid spokesman Jake Navarro told the paper that the utility was “disappointed that Cape Wind has been unable to meet its commitments under the contract, resulting in today’s termination of the power-purchase agreement.”

Under the 2012 agreement, Northeast Utilities and NStar agreed to buy 27.5 percent of Cape Wind’s production. National Grid had signed on to purchase 50 percent.

A Cape Wind spokesman said the developer does not regard the terminations as valid because of provisions that the company said would extend the deadlines.

In letters dated Dec. 31 to both utilities and state regulators, Cape Wind president James Gordon asked that the power companies hold off on voiding the contracts, citing “extended, unprecedented and relentless litigation by the Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound,” a leading opponent of the project.

Those lawsuits, Gordon said in his letter, had prevented Cape Wind from meeting the milestones laid out in the 2012 contract.

The long-term implications for the project remained unclear late Tuesday. Ian Bowles, who as Gov. Deval Patrick’s first energy and environment chief helped shepherd the offshore project, said Tuesday’s news may have spelled the end for Cape Wind.

“Presumably, this means that the project doesn’t go forward,” he said. The jeopardy in which Cape Wind finds itself reflects a changed energy market, in which developers bear more risk than the eventual ratepayers, Bowles said.

Related

‘A Phenomenal Success’

The Southampton International Boat Show had more than 88,000 visitors during its 10-day run, after last year’s cancellation.

TopSide Marinas Makes First Two Acquisitions

Founded in January 2020, the firm has thus far acquired Beavers Bend Marina in Oklahoma and Galveston Yacht Basin in Texas.

Two Boosts for Boating and Fishing

MBIA’s Metro Boat show show draws a crowd, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service expands boating and fishing opportunities.

Norwalk Boat Show Held This Weekend

The NMMA show runs through Sunday at Norwalk Cove Marina in Norwalk, Conn.

Raritan Expands Team

Patrick McNeel joins the New Jersey-based manufacturer as a marine equipment product developer.

Industry Mourns Walter “Bing” Burns O’Meara

The longtime publisher of Lakeland Boating magazine has died at 81.

NMMA Announces Hall of Fame Inductees

Regulator Marine’s Joan Maxwell and Bill Watters of Syntec Industries will be honored at IBEX.

Brunswick Acquires SemahTronix

The supplier of wiring harnesses and other electrical assemblies will be part of Brunswick’s growing Advanced Systems Group.