The American Boat and Yacht Council was featured on “Good Morning America” to discuss the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning on a boat.
The issue gained national attention when 16-year-old Raven Little-White died of carbon monoxide poisoning while boating with nine friends ranging from ages 11 to 17 in North Carolina last May.
“There were two young women sitting on the back of the swim platform, and as they were driving along, one of the young women began to get woozy and began walking toward the cockpit area, and her friends were helping her, realizing she was in distress, and something was wrong, and at that same time period Raven, who was sitting on the back of the boat, just sort of slipped into the water,” District Attorney Jon David told WECT News.
Instructors are sharing the story of her death and incorporating “Raven’s Rule” into the lesson when teaching students to avoid the rear area of a boat when it is in operation. It’s hoped that the real-life example will help people remember the danger and take it more seriously.
North Carolina law enforcement is now warning boaters about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
People who are out on a boat think they have a headache because they’re out in the sun all day and aren’t hydrated, when the condition is actually the result of carbon monoxide poisoning, ABYC president John Adey said during the spot.
Carbon monoxide exposure can be harmful in as little as 15 minutes, Adey said.
The key is to “keep people away from the back of the boat when at low speed, or even if the engine is running at all,” he said.