Skip to main content

VIDEO: NOAA predicts average Atlantic hurricane season

Atlantic tropical cyclone names for 2019. Courtesy of NOAA.

Atlantic tropical cyclone names for 2019. Courtesy of NOAA.

The National Oceanic Atmospheric and Atmospheric Climate Prediction Center are calling for a near-normal 2019 Atlantic hurricane season, which begins June 1 and continues until Nov. 30.

The center is forecasting a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, but added that there is a 30 percent chance for an above-normal season and a 30 percent chance for a below-normal season.

An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which six become hurricanes, including three major hurricanes.

NOAA predicts a range of nine to 15 named storms, with winds of 39 mph or higher. It said between four and eight of those storms could become hurricanes, including two to four Category 3, 4 or 5 storms. NOAA said it is providing these ranges with a 70 percent confidence level.

“New satellite data and other upgrades to products and services from NOAA enable a more weather-ready nation by providing the public and decision makers with the information needed to take action before, during and after a hurricane,” acting NOAA administrator Neil Jacobs said in a statement.

Gerry Bell, lead forecaster at the Atmospheric Climate Prediction Center, discusses the forecast.

This year marks the first time NOAA’s Earth-observing satellites includes three operational next-generation satellites. NOAA said this provides “unique and valuable data” that will feed hurricane forecast models and help users make critical decisions days in advance.

NOAA’s National Weather Service is upgrading its Global Forecast System flagship weather model — the so-called American model — early in the season. It’s the first major upgrade to the core of the model in almost 40 years, and NWS said it will improve cyclone track and intensity forecasts.

“NOAA is driving toward a community-based development program for future weather and climate modeling to deliver the very best forecasts by leveraging new investments in research and working with the weather enterprise,” Jacobs said.

The agency will also expand the coastal storm surge watches and warnings to include Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

NOAA also predicts a 70 percent chance of an above-normal season for the eastern and central Pacific regions.

Related

1_WHALESACTION

NMMA: Proposed Speed Rule an ‘Existential Threat’ to Industry

The association is calling on every marine brand, employee and boat owner to file public comment by Oct. 31 over a sweeping regulation to protect North Atlantic right whales.

1_AXOPAR

Axopar and Nimbus Renew Agreement

The boatbuilders have entered an agreement whereby Nimbus Group will retain exclusive rights to sell Axopar boats on the Swedish market.

1_IAN

Hurricane Ian Leaves Devastation in Florida

The storm left a wide swath of destruction, heavily impacting marine interests from Tampa Bay to Marco Island.

Norm

Email Is Your Ticket to Holiday Sales

Developing an effective email campaign can bolster sales and help fill winter coffers at your dealership.

1_NMRA

NMRA Presents Annual Awards

Edson CEO Will Keene and ComMar Sales president Tim Conroy were recognized for their contributions to the marine industry.

1_ PULSE.PING.2

DEALERS: Are Interest Rates Impacting Demand?

This month’s Pulse Report survey asks dealers whether interest rate increases are causing a downturn in boat sales. Take the survey here.

1_EPROPULSION

EPropulsion, Mack Boring Partner with Crest

Pontoon builder Crest will use an ePropulsion Navy 3.0 Evo electric outboard motor and an E175 battery for its 2023 Current model.

1_BENETEAU

Beneteau Reports Significant H122 Growth

The company reported that its revenue grew 8.6 percent and income increased by 30 percent during the first half of 2022.