Formula boats is a family-owned, globally renowned powerboating brand, celebrating over 66 years of fiberglass boat manufacturing. Applauded worldwide for unparalleled performance, advanced engineering and styling, Formula consistently sets the bar for the growing leisure offshore boat market. Formula’s current product range is 24 to 50 feet. Formula Boats operates in a 500,000 square foot state of the art facility, located in Decatur, IN. Learn more about Formula Boats at: www.formulaboats.com
Formula boats has flourished under the design influence of an exclusive designer for over 50 years. We are now expanding our design team by seeking an experienced Design Lead to continue the Formula design legacy. The Design Lead position will be assisted by Formula’s current Chief Designer, with the intention that they will transition into the role of Chief Designer. The Design Lead will utilize creative design and leadership skills with multiple teams at Formula’s headquarters, guiding new development projects from inception to completion.
GENERAL SCOPE OF POSITION
- Collaborate with Executive Leadership (comprised of multi-generation family ownership) on new product development and existing product improvements. This includes communicating regular updates on current projects.
- Function as Formula Boats Design Lead, efficiently and smoothly moving the design process forward.
- Guide the Formula engineering team in creating full-scale mockups as part of the prototyping phase of the product development process.
- Acquire and maintain a vision to foster Formula’s role as an industry design leader and innovator through continuous learning via industry research, product demonstrations, and major boat shows to identify product and component innovations and development.
- Participate in product launch events and communicate with the press and retail clients as requested.
- Other design related responsibilities as requested.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in industrial, transportation or product design from an accredited design university.
- Minimum 5 years design experience in the marine, recreational, transportation or related products with proven exceptional results.
- Experience participating in the design process from interpreting market research to product launch.
- Communication skills to interact with Executive Leadership.
- Experience interacting and communicating with all product development associated teams.
- Basic knowledge of the boat building process helpful but not required.
- Basic understanding of marine hull form design and the desire to learn more.
- Exhibit a high level of hands on mechanical skills and understanding.
- Ability to produce designs ready for CAD importation.
- Ability to collaborate with the Formula CAD Team to develop initial CAD importation to be manufacturing ready.
- Basic experience and familiarity in Siemens NX 2D and 3D.
2200 W. Monroe St.
Decatur, IN 46733
Compensation is a monthly salary and quarterly profit sharing position, to be structured based on a candidate’s knowledge, skills and ability. This position provides a excellent opportunity for growth in position and financial reward. Competitive benefits apply. All business related travel expenses paid for by Formula.
Qualified applicants may submit their resume; verification of college requirement and GPA plus faculty references; a narrative on why they feel they qualify for the position; personal references; and an electronic portfolio or portfolio link to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No Design Firms, please. Formula is seeking a full-time, exclusive Design Lead.