Come join the dynamic and motivated seasonal waterfront team at Great Harbor Yacht Club on Nantucket Island, Massachusetts. Our high-end yacht club emphasizes marine traditions, community, socialization and fun on the water. Our marina is small but busy with 27 seasonal slips, five transient slips, two launch boats and a staff of six launch drivers and dock attendants. As Dockmaster, you’ll be the face of the waterfront interacting with Members and guests daily to provide the best possible experience and you’ll also be responsible for leading the launch drivers and dock attendants. From our little corner of the harbor, the water opportunities are endless from sailing a dinghy, kiteboarding, paddleboarding, fishing, enjoying a cocktail cruise or searching for clams on Coatue. Nantucket is an incredible place to live and play, and Great Harbor is an incredible place to work.Reports To: Waterfront Director
Supervises: Launch Drivers and Dock Attendants
Position Dates: May 15, 2019 to September 16, 2019
Oversee the other launch drivers and dock attendants. Ensure the dock is clean, safe, functioning well and running smoothly on a daily basis. Provide transportation service for GHYC members and guests onboard the designated launch boats. Service must be performed in a safe, courteous, efficient and professional manner at all times with an emphasis on excellent customer service. The Dockmaster is the face of the waterfront and should be an outgoing, friendly individual. This is a key position at Great Harbor Yacht Club and essential in keeping the launch running smoothly and in an organized fashion.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Strong customer service, friendliness, cleanliness, organization and motivation.
- Manage staff of launch drivers and dock attendants through strong leadership skills and acting as a good example. As Dockmaster, you’ll also set the work schedule.
- Work hard to ensure the needs of the members are met or exceeded in a timely and courteous fashion. Aim to be proactive instead of reactive.
- Demonstrate excellent boat handling skills and seamanship at all times. The Dockmaster will also act as a launch driver when necessary.
- Set-up and break down dock facilities at the beginning and end of the season including rigging hoses, setting up fire extinguishers, installing ladders and helping launch/haul floating docks.
- Ensure the GHYC launch log is being maintained and activity is documented in the database software.
- Monitor and organize the transient slip rentals and reservations.
- Commit to memory the GHYC member names, their boat name and the location in the mooring field. Greet the members by name whenever possible.
- As Dockmaster, ensure daily maintenance and cleaning of launch area and launch vessels are being performed to a high standard.
- Operate the VHF radios in accordance with the rules and procedures set forth by the Federal Communication Commission.
- Routinely check all members’ boats and club-owned boats and mooring lines for any damage or potential damage and contact the boat owners when an adjustment is made.
- Report, in writing, any misconduct, unsafe boating practices or injuries in the harbor or club grounds.
· Adhering to the same standards of service and behavior that peers are required to uphold and practice interdepartmental cooperation
· Practicing seamanlike behavior, which includes a positive and friendly demeanor.
· Practice excellent customer service skills and be flexible in customizing the launch service to accommodate member needs.
· Maintaining a professional well-groomed appearance at all times, including wearing proper uniform and shoes while on duty.
Qualifications and General Skills
· High School diploma or equivalent.
· USCG 100 Ton License along with advanced seamanship and boat handling skills
· Current CPR and First Aid Certification
· 1 Year Experience in the Customer Service Industry
· Advanced mechanical knowledge of diesel and gas engines
· Must be able to drive a trailer
· Capable of lifting 50 lbs and spending six hours on your feet
To apply, please email your resume/CV to Emma Hermanek at email@example.com