Defender is a debt-free, family-owned marine outfitter located in Waterford, CT, in business for 80 years. We strive to maintain an excellent reputation as a multichannel retailer of boating equipment and supplies, inflatable boats / outboard motors, and earn the trust and loyalty of boaters around the world. Our Mission is to be the marine outfitter of choice, offering the widest selection of products at the most competitive prices, and providing only the best customer service.
Our valued employees have hundreds of years of combined boating experience and are committed to earning our customers’ trust and respect by offering friendly service, ongoing support, and of course - great value.
Defender Employees enjoy a broad benefit package including Medical, Dental and Life Insurance, 401(k), Profit Sharing, paid vacation and holidays, and very generous Employee merchandise discounts. If you take pride in your work and enjoy a fast-paced and pleasant environment where the focus on Customers begins with delivering honesty and real value to serious boaters, please submit your resume for further consideration.
This is a true career opportunity for an experienced Purchasing Manager to lead our team of Product Managers and Buyers. The ideal candidate will be an experienced marine industry professional and boater with strong leadership, retail or distribution purchasing management, organizational, merchandising, marketing, communications, and inventory management skills. Getting the details right the first time is important - to us and to our Customers. You must be a take-charge, independent self-starter with high energy and a positive attitude that is also comfortable with computerized sales and inventory systems.
Your primary responsibility is to direct all Purchasing operations in the pursuit of company goals for sales, margins and inventory management. Boating &/or Marine industry experience required. Ten years successful retail or distribution purchasing management preferred. The Purchasing Manager will maintain win-win relationships with Staff and Suppliers in an inclusive environment that houses the entire company in one location.
TECHNICAL/CUSTOMER SERVICE COORDINATOR-BOATS & MOTORS
This support role performs a variety of functions as a member of the Defender Boats & Motors Team including customer and vendor communication/interaction and inter-departmental support.
· Provide accurate, complete and timely written/verbal communication in response to customer inquiries, service/warranty issues, quotes and sales
· Process documents for boat and motor orders and registration
· Serve as a liaison to the Boats & Motors Sales and Service team, other Defender departments, customers and vendors
· Present a professional level of customer service
· Take initiative to improve, streamline and problem solve while gaining/expanding knowledge of products and processes
· Analyze customer and vendor issues and resolve problems in an efficient and cost effective manner (think ‘outside the box’)
· Schedule and coordinate appointments for sales and service; general filing and organization
· Proof and edit product information including descriptions, images, format and content
· 5+ Years customer service and/or sales experience, with some administrative responsibilities preferred
· High School Diploma; college preferred
· Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel & Outlook); knowledge of Access a plus
· Basic math skills required with some understanding of the metric system
· Ability to format product and sales flyers, and create/present reports and procedure manuals
· Experience with warranties and parts’ research a plus (auto or marine industry)
· Boating experience very desirable; inventory experience helpful
· Basic understanding of digital photography
Defender Employees enjoy a broad benefits package including Medical, Dental, and Life Insurance, 401(k), Profit Sharing, paid vacation and holidays, and very generous Employee merchandise discounts. If you take pride in your work and enjoy a fast-paced and pleasant environment where the focus on Customers begins with delivering honesty and real value to serious boaters, please submit your résumé in confidence to:
Defender Industries, Inc.
42 Great Neck Road
Waterford, CT 06385