Brunswick expects gain in market share

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Brunswick CEO Dustan McCoy Tuesday reiterated his belief that the U.S. retail marine market will be flat in 2011, although his company will experience revenue and earnings growth because of market-share gains and volume leverage.

McCoy made the remarks at the Wells Fargo Securities Consumer, Gaming and Lodging Conference in Las Vegas.

For the year to date, the retail market is down about 2 percent and likely negatively affected by unfavorable weather, senior analyst Tim Conder said in a report after McCoy’s presentation.

“[Brunswick] continues to gain market share across engine, boat and fitness segments and expects further gains throughout ’11,” Conder wrote. “Engine share gains likely to continue on (1) Volvo's exit/less focus on sterndrives and (2) outboard gains stemming from Japanese supplier disruptions more significantly impacting Japanese competitors (i.e., Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki). We believe boat share gains are likely to continue, and management expects ’10 share losses to be replaced in ’11.”

Brunswick is benefiting from strong aluminum and pontoon boat demand, historically the first indicator of a recovering boat industry, Conder noted. Management said 90 percent of boat brands are profitable today and the remaining 10 percent are on a path to being profitable or reassessed, he said.

“We believe investors continue to overlook the fact that non-current new- and used-boat inventories are largely exhausted, which should precipitate a recovery in new-unit sales, even if total industry unit sales (new/used) are flat,” Conder wrote. “Bottom line: We would use recent weakness as an opportunity to continue building positions in [Brunswick] shares and feel comfortable with our estimates.”

Brunswick’s stock opened at $20.19 a share Wednesday. Its 52-week high and low are $27.70 and $11.72.

Related

Netherlands Eases Covid Measures as Metstrade Approaches

The moves by the Dutch government open up travel prior to the show, which is scheduled for Nov. 16-18 at RAI Amsterdam.

Coming to America

Swedish electric boat builder X Shore has established a North American sales office in Newport, R.I.

Registration Opens for ABYC Standards Week

Scheduled for Jan. 10-14, the conference includes sessions to review current and new standards, the group’s annual meeting and the Marine Law Symposium.

New Initiatives To Push Boating Safety

The Marine Industries Association of Southwest Florida and Discover Boating are promoting on-water safety, one in a digital format and and one analog.

Yamaha Develops Electric Propulsion System

The Harmo system comprises a rim-drive electric motor that turns an impeller.

Mercury Supports Local Food Drive

Employees in Fond du Lac, Wis., donated more than $5,600 and 2,500 pounds of food during the company’s annual Fill the Boat to Cast Out Hunger drive.

A Record Cannes Show

The first major boat show to be held in Europe in more than a year drew 54,400 attendees during its six-day run.

Iconic Cleveland Show Returns to the I-X Center

Also, the Northwest Marine Trade Association is offering grants to promote boating and fishing.